Home Me & MineRecipesBlog RollBook List

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Holding My Peace...

Have you ever gotten out of bed in the dark of the morning only to look back at it wondering, wanting to climb right back in and pull the covers over and call it a day?  Right then and there, before the day even began?  

That was me this morning.  

Getting up was extra tough.  I'm tired, physically, mentally and emotionally.  There are situations facing us right now (I'll spare you the details) that we simply have no control over.  Yet we have to walk through them.  We have to persevere.  We have to press.  

And it's hard.  It's hard sometimes to remember that He is the Alpha & Omega, the beginning and the end, and that He already knows the end. (Is. 46:10)

It's hard to remember that He knows the plans He has for us, and that they are for good and not evil. (Jer. 29:11)

It's hard, but not impossible to remember these things.  They are the reality.  The situations are facts.

How I long to cling to the reality...to Him.  
But sometimes it's just plain hard.

I've been reading Exodus 14 for several days now.  

It's so full of wisdom, and encouragement and that's where He has me right now.  

Because I need it.  The wisdom and the encouragement.

The chapter is all about The Crossing of the Red Sea.  These people were in the midst of some circumstances, and their faith had to go to a whole new level.  

There was no hiding under the covers - the Word says they went out with boldness (v.8), even as they were being pursued by the the Egyptians.  That doesn't mean they didn't want to go back...(v11-12).  

They did some serious complaining, but in the end, they went forward

 Going backward was not an option (v15).

That's how I feel.  

We HAVE to go forward, but backwards is so much easier, more comfortable and familiar.  

BUT GOD in all of His wisdom, knew we'd have days seasons like this so He made a couple of promises here...

v. 13 - "Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid.  Stand still and see the salvation of the Lord which He will accomplish for you today.""

v. 14 - "The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace."

Don't be afraid.  

Stand still.  

Hold your peace.
 
All wonderful promises from an AWESOME God!  

Sometimes, and maybe it's just me, but sometimes they are a little difficult to walk out in the midst of life.  Am I alone here?

When life appears to be crumbling or at least wavering a bit.  

Don't be afraid.

When we want to fix all of this stuff that is going wrong.  Surely I can come up with an answer.  

Stand Still.

If I think enough.  If I pray more.  If I talk about it a little more surely we'll find an answer we didn't think of before.  

Hold your peace.

That's the one that really gets me.  Hold your peace.  Our peace (in Him) is the key.  Our peace (in Him) is the key to our joy.  And our joy (in Him) is the key to our strength.  

So today, I'm challenged.  

Challenged to hold onto my peace.  

Challenged to not allow the circumstances of the day to rob me of my peace, my joy or my strength.  

That's my challenge.  And it is a challenge, because circumstances look big. 

BUT GOD.
Photobucket
Linking up with New Life Steward - WIP Wed
and also with Amanda - Desire to Inspire

4 comments:

Beth said...

I love that insight, "Going backward is not an option." So many times we want to go back to some other idealized time when we're suffering. But God wants us to keep moving forward. I'm with you on this one, Lori. Even though it's hard and painful, I know He is there with me and that makes all the difference. Thanks for this thought-provoking post!

LeAnn said...

I need to post those three phrases somewhere where I can see them daily.

Don't be afraid.
Stand Still.
Hold your Peace.

Thank you for sharing!

Mary Reed said...

Lori, this is a great post! LeAnn, I was thinking the same thing. I'm writing these verses down and putting them on my wall!
Thanks Lori!!
Blessings to you ~ Mary

Unknown said...

Hi Lori
I had to smile when I read your words of just praying a bit more. Why, oh why, do us humans always think we need to do something for God to get Him to act on our behalf when He tells us to just rest in Him and to hold our peace! I often do this..... Glad seeing your smile at WIP.
Hugs to you XX
Mia